Wednesday 29 April 2015

Watching paint dry

I promised myself when I set off on this project that any time I did the slightest thing on my house I would Blog it - this may be punitive for readers but I personally want a record of every little inch.  Several times on previous blogs I have gone back in to find a vendor or a clue on how I did something either for myself or someone else only to find it was something I didn't record. Hence there being (pretty much) a post every day now I have begun.  I can stretch the occasional day's playing into a couple of posts so there's not too much to read at one time and that helps pad out the lean moments or days when I can't get to play.  

BUT......  when I get to priming/painting the whole carcass or covering the front of the house in bricks there will be days and days of repetitive work which, even I can't inflict on you.  I will do my best to stay in touch with titbits during those times.

This post was intended to say farewell for a while as I got on with the tedious priming stage but before doing this I needed to insert the dividing walls.  I hadn't a clue as to just how much I can't do that.

  • Most of the walls need to be scrapped and new ones made as the doorways have disappeared or changed.
  • There is a rear false wall to be made for the hallway and another for the basement and even if they were ready they couldn't go in as the decorating has to be done behind them.  There will be a glimpse of what lies behind.  They are a very long way from being able to go in place.
  • I want a linen cupboard at the back of the housekeeper's room.  It has to be built so that I know precisely where the left hand wall needs to be, so that's another wall that's on hold.  
  •  etc etc etc.
Instead of erecting walls and priming the whole thing I have spent my playtime today sort of 'snagging' my various plans room by room.

It began with a bit of a disappointment.  When I came to stand things in place for an overall assessment I realised I didn't like how the door looked.

floating doorway
It sort of floats above the steps.  It should really sit on that top step.  If I chop out some wood below it I will have a gap at the top to deal with...mmmmm.  That is the ideal solution though if I only knew what to do with the gap.


adding a step
Basically it needs another step added in - it is precisely the right height for one (poor design or step missing?).  The downside of this is that it won't be as wide as the bit of wood in that photo is.  Getting one, cut to fit, leaving the width of the tread on the step below the same as the others, would make it a narrow step that no-one would be able to stand on whilst waiting for someone to answer the door!  Ideally all the glued in steps need removing and shoving forward to allow the top step to be deeper.  This isn't going to happen.  Now you see why you need dry builds.

I am very glad I didn't go with my immediate response of emailing the vendor and asking him to send me a step, as this problem needs thinking about.

Regency linen press


This is my 'inspiration' for my linen press in the housekeepers room.  To be fair mine will be much plainer, no bumped out front, but I'd like to keep the bun feet and maybe a trim on top.

I wrote to the truly wonderful Elizabeth at ELF miniatures to see if she could make me up a kit as she did for my Wentworth kitchen and her lovely cupboard in Chocolat.  I knew I would be using her for all sorts of things during this project I but thought all that was so much further down the line and then I realised I can't fit in a dividing wall until this cupboard is in place.

This made me sit down and try to use my day calmly reflecting on what might be going in each room before I bashed on, shoving in walls willy-nilly, only to discover I shouldn't have done that.

So - can I get on with most of the priming? - I am just going to have to; I can't dawdle along waiting for all the other issues to be resolved.  I am working on the principle that if walls don't stick to floors and painted ceilings very well then the skirting boards and coving will have to help keep them in place











No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.