Friday 8 May 2015

Dividing walls finished

Here are the dividing walls all finished and ready to 'pop in' on each floor.


walls stacked on the roof of the house


The two walls in the attic aren't complicated and so could just glue right in place.  They did, however, have to be re-cut for me by my other half as they had doorways at the front of each of the ones which came with the kit.  My doors will be at the back of each room - leading to the service area/corridor.

These walls mean that I will be going about this build in a completely different way to previous ones.  It has already begun that way in that I didn't do a dry build (not possible) and I didn't decorate as much as I could before assembling - again not doable as I didn't do a dry build.

Having more  'complex' rooms with glimpses of other spaces means the various glimpsed spaces need to be finished before these walls go in.  I have, therefore, decided I will probably have a go at focussing on one room at a time so I don't have to make too many decisions all at once.  In previous builds I have tended to do all the painting, all the wallpapering, all the trims, all the lighting etc etc one job throughout the house at a time.  I think with this one that demands too much hunting and gathering.  The prospect of finding every light and fire I want throughout the house in one go, for example, is a bit too much to expect.  Much easier to find something suitable for a single room (or two and get those in place and wait for the next to turn up.

The metal thing you can see in the picture is my lovely little magnetic right-angled jig being used in a different way - checking the walls are perfectly perpendicular.

Lucky servants with this for accommodation.  The sisters don't need the rooms and it is a good way to attract staff.  Servants were a 'problem' in this century, as they continually moved around trying to improve their lot.  The average stay with a family was only two years.  The Philpott ladies have done well to have kept most of theirs for some years thanks to forward-thinking ideas like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.