Saturday 4 November 2017

ELF kitchen, right side

Day four


 I'll try and give you some tips (learned by my not doing it right!) in this post which will apply to all sorts of assemblies not just an ELF kitchen kit.

I started today with the fun part and made the stainless steel sink to go under the worktop.  This was super easy - basically just build a box and line with metal.  The contact adhesive (Bostik's Evostik) is pretty smelly and not the easiest to handle but don't try using another glue.  Metal to wood really does need a contact adhesive.  Do put a thin coat on both surfaces and wait for them to dry - about five minutes and then press together.  When I did the fridge I soon learned that my notion of just adding the glue to the metal side and not waiting very long, really doesn't work well.




When you have covered the surfaces with the film, if there are any teeny, tiny gaps that offend just use my usual method of filling them in with tiny blobs of white paint. This photo is a bit messy as the fill in needs to dry and a bit more trimming needs to be done, but the end result is nigh on perfect.




This photo shows the various stages involved.  The boxes are built and everything has one good coat of paint to help the plastic stick - don't miss out this stage - even if the plastic appears to stick OK it will gradually pull away from unprimed wood.  Cut a load of strips of plastic ready for covering the sides and fronts as needed and then start wrapping.  Trim any excess with a very sharp knife rather than scissors.  Take care to remember not to cover any areas which are going to be stuck to something else.





Day five
All the pieces were prepped and ready to assemble.

If you have several doors to space out - do the ones at each edge first and then space the others evenly between.


If you have cupboards above lower units stand them on top of the bottom units and get the upper cupboards lined up perfectly with the ones below, before gluing them in place





Unlike me.... Do not cut any shelf that is going in a space before the space is made, it is very likely to be too big or too small for the finished gap. (How do people like Elizabeth always get theirs spot on?) Even a tiny amount like this means (of course) that you can't fix it in place.




I always make a template from a piece of card for positioning the handles so they all line up and match each other.  It is as simple as making a cardboard cutout the same size as the door, positioning the handle on this and marking up where the holes need to go.  I then drill a hole through the cardboard and double check before using it on the doors.  At this scale the slightest deviation form the vertical (or horizontal) will really shout at you.


The shelf was a change of plan.  I had ordered an LED to go over the sink but at the eleventh hour I decided the complications involved in getting the wiring in and, worse, out the back of the house, didn't warrant the effect I would get from it.  Also the kitchen is so small it doesn't give any real space to be able to dress it with stuff dotted about so I am happier to have a shelf to put something on.

Tah dah...... the units for the right side of the kitchen are ready.




If you like the wonderful kits that ELF makes don't be nervy about putting them together, the first time will be a bit of a challenge (honestly not much) and then, after that, it is always plain sailing and you will be thrilled at how clever you are and how lovely the kits are.

(09/09/17)

12 comments:

  1. Love how they look and your countertops are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the counter tops/work surfaces such clever stuff and geeat scale. Nice to see you. M

      Delete
  2. I love the sink/countertop/faucet combo just as I knew I would! The whole unit looks so lovely together, and I'm looking forward to seeing them installed and adorned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi, nice to see you. I tried to leave a message on your blog a couple of days ago and couldn't make it work. It must be me because there are others there, obviously. Will try again when I get home and can use desktop machine instead of ipad. Mus5 also crack on with adorning too when I get back. M

      Delete
  3. Your cupboards look Smashing, Marilyn! And Jodi is RIGHT the sink/countertop and faucets all look LOVELY together. :))
    Thanks for your tip about installing the end doors first. It is a simple thing yet it makes perfect sense.

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, I am such a nitpicker that I do usually figure out how to get things spot on otherwise they would drive me nuts. M

      Delete
  4. Your kitchen looks so sleek. Great tip about making a template for the handles and then standing the upper and lower cabinets together so as to line up the handles. Sometimes the smartest idea are so simple! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth, Just saying to Elizabeth I have to find ways of getting stuff 'righter than right' or they would just annoy me forever and as you say the answer is always a simple thing. M

      Delete
  5. I agree the handle template is a wonderful idea! Your cupboards look fab and very professional. Taking the time to get the finishes just right has really paid off in spades. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly it is THE thing I love best about the whole hobby, trying and trying to get things just right and in scale and the best I can do with what money will allow. M

      Delete
  6. Hello Marilyn,
    Thank you for your wonderful input and tips. It really is a beautiful kitchen and ELF products look like they are very well thought out. This little kitchen is beautiful and I am sure will add a big wow factor to the project.
    big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Giac. I do like ELF very much Elizabeth can cut anything you design and her materials and accuracy and price are all great. I actually love designing full size kitchens and have done a couple of pretty clever ones in my time even if I do say so myself, so this one was no challenge at all. My little person has everything she needs as she can use the washer and dryer that is in the huge family laundry room in the main house. Marilyn

      Delete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.