Saturday 20 January 2018

Trims and furniture fiddling

By the time you get to house build five you get pretty nifty at putting in simple profile trims.



The under counter fridge rather stopped me from putting in full size skirting boards in the kitchen as I couldn't get it down the side of the fridge.  It would look odd stopping at the fridge door (and prevent it from opening in real life) so I opted for the solution I did in the mud room and just added a small trim to match the floor like you sometimes get with laminate flooring.



The sitting room took a matter of minutes to cut six pieces of trim and glue them in place.  This still looks a bit 'rough' as I haven't gone back in with paint to fill any gaps.  I started late in the day and the light was too poor for fiddling around with a fine paintbrush.



So..... late afternoon, poor light in the Dalton House, no time left in the day to start fitting the lights on this level..... might as well play around with furniture.  The cardboard box is standing in for a yellow and white sideboard I still have to make.  Not sure if five seats in a small apartment is overkill?  Nice to have friends......




This is the sparse version - will look better with rug and pictures on walls and leaves room to dot coffee table or side tabes or other bits and bobs around.

So which one to go for.....????

(If you do want detailed information on how to fit trims just go to the 'Labels' section in the left hand column of the blog and click on trims - you need to have the blog open on a browser and not just be reading it in your email)

8 comments:

  1. I like the second option better but I'd keep the white rocker and just lose the yellow chair. But, of course, what would I know.. I'm sure your end product will be lovely. :D
    Nice job on the trims.. I can't wait untill I'm experienced enough to knock out my trims in a matter of minutes and with such great cuts that it looks good even without touch ups. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the yellow chair is the one too many but, of course, the yellow chair and the future yellow and white sideboard were the key components before I started shovelling in other stuff so I am finding it hard to leave it behind. Think I will though. Thanks for supporting my current thinking. Marilyn

      Delete
  2. Oh my! Here I am at the last (newest) post. I have been reading the whole blog in the last few days (plus the comments and replies) and I didn't realise I was up to date! Oh well, better get started on that first build, eh? Thank you soooo much for you mentorship Marilyn, I feel armed and ready to get on with things now. I AM that newbie you hoped you were talking to all along :)
    Regards, Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Janet, Really glad to meet you here and in my mailbox. It is always lovely to hear from people on the same road. I hope you have many years of fun along with the occasional frustrations of creating mini worlds. Maybe start a blog so we can all visit. Marilyn

      Delete
  3. Me again :) I don't know how to publish comments other than 'anonymous'. I'm the new follower with the golden retriever ;)
    May I make a request Marilyn? Could you squeeze in a post with your ten favourite 'must-haves' for the beginner? I have been taking copious notes but I want to start with the very basics to get me going and build up from there (i.e. type of drill, saw, etc...)
    Thank you so much
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, will try to get to it this week. I understand why you want this. Luckily whatever mini money I have had I was always reluctant to spend on 'tools' so mine are very basic and cheap! Marilyn

      Delete
  4. Hello Marilyn,
    The smaller molding in the kitchen is a good idea and looks great! I actually like the extra seating in the sitting room. I think it depends on who lives there. A younger person for instance might have friends over more often...It looks lovely both ways so you cannot go wrong.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giac, Thank you for voting on the seating. I am hopeless at making decisions on my own and just waffle about. I work best when someone suggests something i don't like then i can set off and do the opposite! Not in this case though. Marilyn

      Delete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.